OneYearBibleOnline Discussion

• Full Screen
  • Wide Screen
  • Narrow Screen
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

What Now? : Transform your bible-in-a-year reading from one of trivial pursuit to the pursuit of God!

What Now? bridges the gap between the world of the Bible and the contemporary world through it’s compelling life application questions designed to guide the reader into a deeper understanding of how God’s Word relates to their every day life, ultimately moving the reader from simply reading the Word… to living the Word. (Follows the One Year® plan.)

"A devotional plan to read through the Bible in a year takes on new depth with this wonderful tool." ~ Dr. Michael Duduit, Executive Editor, Preaching Magazine

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iBookstore

Fearful To Fearless | Fear Not - Don't Worry - Fear GodFearful To Fearless | Fear Not - Don't Worry - Fear God brings together almost 400 passages of scripture to demonstrate or direct us to not be afraid, to not worry or be anxious, to look to Christ for strength and comfort, and be transformed to have a worshipful fear and awe of God.

"a remarkable collection of Christ centered, Biblically based promises that offer inspiration and a pattern for living." ~ Richard R. Blake, Midwest Book Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iBookstore

Humorous and Cutting Proverbs
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Humorous and Cutting Proverbs

Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 10 months ago #24

• cartoonbug
  • ( Moderator )
  • Kudos: 70
Hello OYB readers,

The Book of Proverbs is bursting with wisdom to make believers wiser to the ways of God. In studying them, you will also find that it ridicules lazy men, fools and quarrelsome women by using comical or graphic word pictures. Many of them are so cutting, witty and humorous that I thought that I would share a few. As believers, I pray that none of these offend and if they do, take the issue up with the Lord since he preserved them in his Word. Meanwhile feel free to post your own favorite proverbs.

Foolish People
"Like a thorn that goes into the hand of the drunkard, so is a parable in the mouth of fools" (Proverbs 26:9).

"Like a dog that returns to his vomit, so does a fool repeat his folly" (Proverbs 26:11).

Quarrelsome Women
"It is better to live in a desert than with a contentious and angry woman" (Proverbs 21:19).

"A constant dripping on a rainstormy day and a quarrelsome woman are alike" (Proverbs 27:15).

Lazy Men
"The lazy man says, ‘there is a lion on the road, a lion is between the streets’ " (Proverbs 26:13). We all know someone who exaggerates in order to justify doing nothing

"The door turns on its hinges, and the lazy man on his bed" (Proverbs 26:14) The door turns on its hinges but goes nowhere, so the lazy man turns on his bed from side to side but does not get up.

"The lazy man buries his hand in the dish; it wearies him to return it to his mouth" (Proverbs 26:15). Imagine someone so lazy that even bringing food to his mouth is a chore.

"A lazy man is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who give advice" (Proverbs 26:16). Most kings had at least seven advisors in ancient times.

Who said that God doesn't have a sense of humor?

A fellow Pilgrim in Progress,

Lance Muller

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 9 months ago #123

• Paul
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Kudos: 13
Hey Everyone,

Ain't this site great or what! My favorite Proverb is Proverbs 27:17

"Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another."

I belong to a men's group at my church and I can't tell you how often God has used a Godly man to shape and mold our characters to conform to the likeness of Christ. This verse really hits home for me with the impact of punch.

Staying Real for the Lord,

Paul

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 9 months ago #134

• sirnando777
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Kudos: 3
Yes Paul, this is an AWESOME site! You picked a good one, I too love my Mens Ministry group.
I grow so much at the meetings. It is a small group but it is BIG in blessings to us who love Jesus.
May The Lord bless you and keep you in these perilous times my friend.

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 9 months ago #135

• Paul
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Kudos: 13
Thanks sirnando777,

I am blessed to have a great group of guys (my brothers in the faith) to help me keep it real. Accountability is a big part of our group; to God, our family, to others of the faith and to the unsaved.

May you and yours have a blessed and safe New Year!!!

Striving in the Faith,

Paul

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 9 months ago #137

• Liz
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Kudos: 0
I love the wise words of King Lemuel's mother - jut before she laments the lack of wives of noble character:-
Beer and wine are not for the Kings but for those struggling . . . .

Give beer to those who are perishing,
wine to those who are in anguish;

let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.

Have just gone alcohol free for the first 37 days of the year ( year-tithe) and to redress the excesses of Christmas, I have great sympathy for the sentiment. OF COURSE in a sensible drinking policy....
Liz:cheer:

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 9 months ago #139

• sirnando777
  • ( User )
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Kudos: 3
Congrats Liz !

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 9 months ago #241

• Yearling
  • ( User )
  • Senior Boarder
  • Kudos: 8
Praise the Lord He is doing a good work in you!!

Not a Proverb but here's a verse to enjoy:

Judges 9:13,
But the vine said to them, Should I cease my new wine, which cheers both God and men, and go to sway over trees?"

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 9 months ago #283

• KarenLeland
  • ( User )
  • Junior Boarder
  • Kudos: 8
I would also add the following:

Proverbs 23:29-35

29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaining?
Who has wounds without cause?
Who has redness of eyes?
30 Those who tarry long over wine;
those who go to try mixed wine.
31 Do not look at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup
and goes down smoothly.
32 In the end it bites like a serpent
and stings like an adder.
33 Your eyes will see strange things,
and your heart utter perverse things.
34 You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea,
like one who lies on the top of a mast.
35 “They struck me,” you will say, “but I was not hurt;
they beat me, but I did not feel it.
When shall I awake?
I must have another drink.”

In moderation always. Blessings to all of you!

Karen

Re:Humorous and Cutting Proverbs 5 years, 7 months ago #502

• TimberWolf
  • ( Moderator )
  • Kudos: 21
Humor, if used in a non-blasphemous or non-trivializing way in Apologetics for the Gospel can be very effective!!
Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are some of the best examples in Scripture. It is interesting how humor and biting remarks are associated a lot with Wisdom Literature.

I know that I am a bit of a jokester at times and I have loved using humor (especially that which plays upon the irrational) in defense of the Gospel. It can really make people open their eyes to the position of Scripture when you show absurdities of non-Scriptural views... plus it can give Christians a few laughs

Humor can be quite effective on Blogs and such, since you can set it up well

Kierkegaard, regardless of any flaws in his religious existentialism, was called: "The Godly Deceiver" because of his use of humor and absurdities to make a point. Perhaps like a modern day Jacob, we can get ourselves into trouble in we aren't careful
...but used carefully, I have found humor to be an excellent device! We just have to take a cue from Scripture.

This is an awesome thread!
Thanks to everyone for sharing here

peace,
Timberwolf
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
- Micah 6.8
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by TimberWolf.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

The One Year Bible guides readers through God's Word with daily readings from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs, allowing you to read through the entire Bible in as little as 15 minutes a day.

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | ChristianBook.com

ChristianBook.com